Head of Podcast Production
Our client has developed a platform that focuses on audio learning, offering verified continuing professional development (CPD) through engaging content with a modern and convenient user experience.
Their beachhead market is in accounting, where they help designated CPAs get their CPD hours through engaging podcasts with business leaders. CPD is the required learning that CPAs generally loathe doing. They’re tired of dealing with boring webinars, irrelevant content and product experiences that are out-of-date.
With over 170 episodes, a slick mobile app, automatic CPD tracking and new episodes weekly, they have reimagined what professional education looks like.
Working with the VP of Content, the Head of Podcast Production will be the main driver shaping the tone, sound, and direction of their educational podcasts. With extensive knowledge in both audio and storytelling in a podcast format, they are looking for someone to lead the Podcast Production department. They are a team of entrepreneurs without formal production experience, and are looking for someone who has run an effective production team, and can help them build the processes and team they need to scale their content production house.
As the Head of Production, you will…
Your Background Should Look Like…
- Be the visionary, leading narrative, audio, and the overall sound and feel of our podcasts
- Manage, and continue to build, a team of producers, audio engineers, and freelancers
- Be the audio gatekeeper, ensuring a high level of audio quality and consistency for every podcast
- Manage the workflow and production of multiple podcasts at any given time
- Assess, improve, and iterate on production processes from pre-production to episode release. If they don’t work, help build new ones!
- Help the team troubleshoot audio, narrative, guest management, or other production related issues. Mentor and teach the team how to mitigate those issues going forward
- Manage recording and release schedule, and be on top of communicating any issues or changes with stakeholders
- Review podcasts to identify issues and provide feedback on the audio or copy. We are proud of what we do but can always get better!
- Review and provide feedback on scripts from producers and freelancers
- Use your background in narrative and storytelling to support hosts and producers with episode outlining and direction of episodes
- Assist in developing new podcast series
- Use your deep knowledge and networks to source new talent for hosting, scripting, and other talent as required
- Have the ability to zoom out and see bigger picture. You can comfortably say you always fully understand how what you are working on fits into the bigger picture, and will always push for the “why” if you don’t
- 5+ years experience in podcast production and original show development at an organization, studio, or network. (We love and admire independent podcasters, but are looking for applicants that have done this at a corporate scale)
- 3+ years leading and managing an audio department and experience guiding and mentoring producers
- A sophisticated sense of story structure and narrative. You should have extensive experience figuring out both how to tell a story and how to fix a story that isn’t working
- You should have experience coaching a team and delivering actionable, constructive feedback
- Strong understanding of recording, cutting tape, assembling, mixing, and audio publication
- A strong understanding of Pro Tools, Audacity, and other DAWs
- Experience in a fast paced environment with an ability to anticipate and respond quickly to change
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Ability to set up and troubleshoot audio recording in remote environments
- Experience creating processes from scratch, and an ability to identify processes that aren’t working or need tweaking.
- A background in finance or business would be highly desirable but not required
- You have an immense attention to detail
- You are collaborative and believe good ideas can come from anywhere or anyone
- You care about the quality of the final product, and want to take pride in anything you attach your name to